Cookware and Bakeware














Cookware and bakeware are types of food preparation containers commonly found in a kitchen. Cookware comprises cooking vessels, such as saucepans and frying pans, intended for use on a stove or range cooktop.  Bakeware comprises cooking vessels intended for use inside an oven.  Some utensils are both cookware and bakeware.

Cookware for Induction Cooking


Clad Cookware (clad “sandwiches” type cookware) :

sandwiches_cookware_diagGood modern cookware is made from layers of different metals to take advantage of the different qualities of each.  Stainless steel is often the outer layer because it is tough, easy to clean and doesn’t react with food. However, it doesn’t conduct heat well, so it often has inner layer(s) of aluminum or copper which are good heat conducters. Most cookware has these extra layers only on the bottom of the pan where it is in contact with the heat source. A few expensive lines of cookware have this layered construction all the way up the sides of the pan, which helps to conduct the heat up the sides as well.  This is what is called Full Clad and is expensive to make and buy.

Some very expensive cookware are made of 5-ply, 7-ply and beyond:

Ply cookware refers to the layers of metals used in the construction of the  bottom of the pot or pan, and sometimes the entire vessel.  Each metal “ply” has its own purpose in the construction of the cookware.  When you sandwich different “ply of metal” together to form a pot or pan, you are able to utilize the best properties each metal has to offer.  The more layers of metals in the cookware, the thicker the pot or pan is, and therefore sometimes the more expensive the price of the cookware tends to be.




Leave a Reply